Twitter Update

Why Follow this Blog?

You're a parent or a spouse looking for a place to openly discuss the challenges of your role without being judged. Let's discuss the topics your single friends know nothing about.

Wife vs. Mom


Based on the number of jokes and stereotypes out there I know I'm not alone on this one.  I have a great mom who's always willing to help whenever she can.  But for some reason my wife refuses the help and takes a seemingly passive aggressive stance towards my mom at every turn.  These are the two most important women in my life, they're both great people, yet they refuse to get on the same page.  From my perspective, the animosity seems to be pretty one sided, from my wife towards my mom.

When we first got married it wasn't so evident.  In fact, my mom may have been the more stand offish one at that point.  I can wrap my head around that a little in that a mother views herself as the most important woman in your life and now she sees that change to your wife... ok, I get it.  But now that we have kids, why would my wife keep my mom at arms length?  It pisses me off and puts me in an awkward position every time we're in the same room!

Share your thoughts, stories, theories on this.  I know you have one in you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL I completely agree.Even here moms and wives are stuck in an eternal power struggle where nobody is a clear winner,but there is a clear loser and that is us men!

CometothePorch said...

That's for sure Sharkkyy. When you say "here" you mean Pakistan correct? I really appreciate having someone in the community from a very different part of the world. Your comment tells me that this blog applies to all us screwed up humans the world over, just not just my little corner here in the US. Please stay in touch.

Friends - you can follow Sharkky at http://sharkkyy.wordpress.com/2011/09/03/readysteady-wait/

Anonymous said...

heyy Thanks for the shameless advertisement of my blog sir.love it! and yes I meant Pakistan.The situation here is even worst as parents stay with the son after marriage.What happens than is a crusade between the mother and the wife on a daily basis.The poor guy cant even take sides because if he does he will be deemed siding with the enemy.Classic catch 22!

CometothePorch said...

@Sharkkyy - You mean to say that after you get married your parents will physically live with you at your house? If that's true I would see that as infinitely more difficult than over here. I thought I had it bad having to go to a plethora of family functions and deal with the aftermath.

That's like dropping two piranha in a fish tank with only one goldfish!

Anonymous said...

lol,its absolutely terrible.The parents are old and become very hard to deal with plus the wife has her daily mood swings which again is no joy-ride.So the man has to balance work,wife,parents and kids.Thats why men here choose wife extra carefully,because he may just be writing his death warrant if he's not careful!

Post a Comment

Share