Twitter Update

Why Follow this Blog?

You're a parent or a spouse looking for a place to openly discuss the challenges of your role without being judged. Let's discuss the topics your single friends know nothing about.

Politics: Does it bring your marriage closer or is it a wedge?

Watching the republican debate has inspired me to pose this question.  For me, politics is a pet passion.  I love watching the debates, town hall meetings, posturing etc., especially on the Presidential level.  My wife is not interested in politics which doesn't bother me.  I wouldn't want to introduce yet another strain on our marriage should we disagree.  When it comes up, she seems to agree with me, but presumably only because she's only listening to my point of view.

I imagine that if we were to disagree on politics it would become a major wedge in our relationship.  Some of the issues; abortion, welfare, war, speak directly to the character of a person in my opinion.

What's your experience with politics in your relationships?

1 comments:

James said...

Well my wife does not care for politics too much and I've just got her to vote the last few times and then she usually votes for who I tell her about(the person she would honestly like the most). I will say that it the issue of abortion or any other hot issue with politics drives a wedge between a couple then they do not share the same morals and values. People should really discuss morals and values before marriage. Even without politics there would be arguments and differences in opinion if you are not both inline with your morals and values.

Post a Comment

Share