Twitter Update

Why Follow this Blog?

You're a parent or a spouse looking for a place to openly discuss the challenges of your role without being judged. Let's discuss the topics your single friends know nothing about.

Who controls the money in your marriage?



Are you an alpha male who refuses to let your wife handle the money?  Smart enough to know she's more likely to pay the gas bill on time?  Or do you share the responsibilities at home?

By today's standards, there are many more two income families in the US than there were 30 years ago.  Has there also been a shift in who handles the money?  For my family, I handle all the bills.  Let's face it, with online banking it's not exactly rocket science anymore and in about 10 minutes every other week I can pay all the bills, see how we did for the month, and run through the credit card statement (shocking how many times Starbucks seems to pop in as a line item!).  

The real issue here, I think, is the communication about the family financial outlook.  Where I fail is in not setting a budget we need to live within.  So why would I be upset if she spends $85 on a new dress and a few things for the kids?  Although I think it makes sense to have one person responsible for ensuring the bills get paid, it's just as important that there be an agreed upon family strategy on long term (Education, retirement, investments) and short term (food, utilities, entertainment, travel) goals.

I've been accused of treating my family as a business and I'm not looking to perpetuate that stereotype.  At the same time, I would encourage any reader out there to consider having a scheduled meeting with your significant other to help ensure your family's financial well being.

What's your perspective on this issue?



Citations:
MyBudget360

2 comments:

James said...

I handle the bills in my house and I actually have an Excel spreadsheet that I keep my budget on. We do sit down once a week and discuss the bills. I make a steady income at my work and she works from home as a freelance writer and does not have that steady of an income.

Jacqueline said...

My husband tends to control the money in our marraige, though with input from me. I do need to be more involved though. Any big money decisions are discussed together and nothing is done with out one anothers input.

Post a Comment

Share